Statistical Consulting  - Company Message
My Blog

Surviving the Dissertation Process

Getting Started, Surviving, and Completing Your Dissertation: Moving Beyond the 'ABD' Status

By Brian Hunter, M.A.

Have you ever found yourself spending a Saturday or any day doing everything else you can think of except working on your dissertation?

Many, if not most, graduate students have a difficult time getting started, persevering, and finishing the dissertation process.  You are not alone!  There are many obvious reasons for delay such as the dissertation process is new, getting access to the articles and your major professor, time pressures, financial pressures and learning new skills/techniques such as sampling methods or the dreadedstatistics.   You are not alone in these challenges, but the single biggest obstacle is to dissertation process and completion is in your mind.  Yes, the biggest problem actually lies with you.

What makes getting started and continuing on the dissertation process seem so difficult?

First, your dissertation does involve far more research than you probably have ever done before. Remember, by the time you begin your dissertation, you have already written many essays, reports, and conference presentations.   A dissertation is really a compilation of seminar papers that are linked through conceptual unity.  That means you have already done most or all of the work in many classes and the objective is to bring all that work together into one unified dissertation.  So, the work is not unfamiliar to you.  So, you may be asking yourself why does it seem so difficult again.  Well, completing the dissertation process is largely based on overcoming the difficulties through perseverance.  In other words, do not giving up and keep trying!  This may seem over simplified and perhaps it is, since challenges still come up that stop your resolve and perseverance to move forward.

Why do I feel so many different things when it comes to writing my dissertation?

Emotional responses to the challenges in the dissertation process can vary such as feelings of anxiety, being overwhelmed, feeling burned out and frustrated.  Frustration!  Frustration! Frustration!  There are also many extreme highs and severe lows in the process that can make you feel like you are on a roller coaster.  Guess what?  All these responses are normal!  Experiencing emotions while doing anything is normal!  Very few, if any, people engage in any professional or educational activity devoid of emotion.  So, emotional responses only become a problem when it stops you from progressing and persevering in the dissertation process.

How do I survive?

This is the 20 million dollar question or 100 million, given inflation, but there are actually many things you can proactively do to survive.  The first thing is to look at what is stopping you and getting you stuck in the process.  In other word, what are the barriers and obstacles you are experience like interactions with certain professors or committee members, revisions, major changes, perceived negative feedback and delays?

Let us begin by taking a look at how to use and view your department chair or advisor.  These chairs or advisors are your primary contact in the dissertation process, so all news of your progress, regress, success, or immediate failure comes directly from them.  This can create strong emotions around meeting with and using your advisor regularly and appropriately.  Remember, do not hate the messenger!!! You should seek out your advisor’s candidness, critique, expertise, and trust as these are invaluable to your educational and professional development.  Try to build a relationship of cooperation, mutual respect, openness and trust.  This sounds easy, but we all have different personalities and dispositions.

Your advisor is not in an adversarial role with you by trying to make the dissertation process difficult.  Instead, they are a main source of support for you in achieving your academic success.  You cannot control what your advisor does or how they behave, but you can take a look at how you are responding to them and the dissertation process.  For example, when difficult news arrives from your advisor, committee, or research site there are many common responses form students:

·         Moping and pouting about it for a week;
·         Being distressed, angry and offended;
·         Immediate responding with irate and ill-conceived replies;
·         Taking a deep breath;
·         Recognizing the value of academic critique;
·         Calmly review changes and deficiencies in a cooperative manner;
·         Maintaining emotional control.

How do you respond?

Your response to the news and progress on your dissertation not only impacts you, but also impacts your future progress and the people with whom you are working.

Further paths to take to survival are networking with other doctoral students.  Going through this process with other students helps to give you a perspective as well as support on your situation.  You can also gain invaluable advice and experience about dealing with advisors and committees from students further along in the dissertation process.

How do I stay motivated and finish?

Given my experience working with students who have completed the dissertation process, I have seen some common patterns to staying motivated.  These are some of my suggestions:

o   Distill your dissertation down to one sentence.  This should be from the purpose of the paper.

Say this sentence to yourself each day that you are working on the paper or are trying to get started working.  Post it on your computer or phone screen saver!

o   Keep writing, even when you feel stuck.

When I wrote this type of paper I would continue to write by telling myself in the text what was needed, like a list of things to get for the paper or by jumping to the next section.  Continuing writing would keep my mind flowing and staying on task.  Going to other sections of the paper allowed me to continue to make progress.

o   Do random thoughts about your life keep popping in your head?

Thoughts such asI need to go grocery shopping, I have to get my oil changed, what about that wedding, there a hurricane coming this way and so on. Write them down on a notepad or into a word document as a list of things to remember or do when you are done writing that day.  These real life thoughts and pressures can pull you away from writing and there you are again doing everything, but your dissertation!

o   No one ever wrote a dissertation in one day

Give yourself realistic deadlines and understand that there may be setbacks.  Expect the process to take a year to two years or possibly longer.  Everyone is in different circumstances.  Very few people get to write a dissertation full time and not work or take care of others such as significant others, spouses and children.

I have one final recommendation.  No matter where you are in the dissertation process, you can benefit greatly by reaching out and contacting a professional consultant.  There are many consultants, like myself, who specialize in working with you on learning how to write an introduction, understand a literature review, teach APA formatting, teach scientific writing, tutor research methods and the dreaded statistics!   Contact me of us today!

82 Comments to Surviving the Dissertation Process:

Comments RSS
Brinda Jack on Friday, October 6, 2017 10:22 PM
It is very interesting to read :)

coursework writing help on Friday, May 18, 2018 2:15 AM
Truly yes, A dissertation or final year project, as a form of assessment, differs from other module assessments. I think some of us has been experienced this dissertation before and even now. There is some got emotionally and physically got tired. Sometimes it can over think of it that you are going over it. The good thing you still continue doing it despite any distraction. But then I have to thank you for sharing this extremely informative and useful blog.

https://www.resumeshelpservice.com/resumespice-com-review/ on Friday, October 5, 2018 1:48 AM
I totally agree with everything that you mentioned here. I am a Communication Research student, and albeit still being on my undergraduate studies, I can totally relate because I am also experiencing such problems when I am doing my thesis study. Regardless, I am still doing fine because I have the support from my colleagues and my adviser. Anyway, I just want to point out that no matter how hard it is for you to complete your dissertation, just make sure that you are still keeping up in the right direction. It will be hard if you get lost on track of completing your dissertation.

Write My Dissertation Uk on Sunday, May 31, 2020 6:49 PM
Dissertation writing is the toughest part in the academic life because your degree and whole struggle is being dependent on this project. Well, I recommend that everyone should need to take some professional assistance after all it is a matter of the whole life.

thesis papers on Monday, October 9, 2017 11:31 AM
Waste of time is not a good activity. Always try to consume your time with positive thing that gives you a positive result, like wise if you watch T.V in two hour it will never give you any advantage rather than if you will spend time in studies that will gives you fruit full results in exams. Graduate students should spend time in literature review and scientific research for better results .

Law Assignment on Thursday, June 25, 2020 4:58 PM
Writing a dissertation is not that easy as it looks like. In dissertation, you need to focus each and every chapter because dissertation is the main project of your doctorate degree.

Writers Services UK on Monday, October 23, 2017 6:31 AM
If you have to write a great dissertation so you can follow the steps or you can use some guidance from writers who are professional in this field.

Riley on Saturday, November 4, 2017 4:23 PM
Sandra, really that was a great show! I have pleased to read about this at least 5 years later. If you need sexy escort then check out BBW escorts London anytime. You will get a great quality experience in the end. Thanks!

d5gfd5g on Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:40 PM
edf5y5rte

Study In Tasmania on Monday, November 20, 2017 7:50 AM
I want to continue my visa extension for my further studies in Australia and i think maximus education are professional in that field.

Blad on Sunday, December 10, 2017 11:08 PM
Your article is very nice thank you for share this information. Its very useful for all peoples there are all possibilities to provide for this blog.

65465 on Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:27 AM
5646

6465 on Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:21 PM
5646

bestbritishessays on Sunday, December 24, 2017 11:49 PM
Abortion is an unethical issue as a human being.We the people should improve the quality of this statement regarding the unwanted pregnancy.The Government should learn more details about how this incident could be established.

write an assignment for me on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 11:02 PM
Such a captivating and an anticipated post. you are to an immeasurable degree unmistakable at what you are doing here, I so much no vulnerability will impact a point to wear t to put insane this site and I would absolutely request that you keep it up. this would help me and as I am a specialist individual, my affiliations will be beneficial for you also.

whatsapplovestatus on Sunday, December 31, 2017 12:22 PM

we blog commenting on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:51 PM
Great help dear and a fantastic post. Really like what you have posted .. i found it really useful and will utilize some of the tips here. Good share, thank you!

tony on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 2:18 AM

ricky on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 2:19 AM

essay service on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 10:57 PM
Based on my knowledge a dissertation is an opportunity to further develop my subject expertise, social research intellectual, and organizational skills. It would enable you to become actively involved in research which could mean empirical research or library-based projects. This process improves your subject expertise, and it is a really good preparation for further study and research at postgraduate level and requires you to work independently and methodically in a variety of intellectually demanding contexts. The dissertation process will bombard you with a multitude of emotions and you have to get ready for that.

android format sd card on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:26 PM
MiniTool Power Data Recovery, free and read-only data recovery software can help to recover deleted, formatted or lost data from hard drive, SSD, USB, memory card, and other storage devices easily and quickly. The best free data recovery software offers 4 recovery modules for all data loss situations.

ey on Friday, May 18, 2018 1:49 AM
35y

Jackman on Saturday, June 2, 2018 4:56 AM
I always love to read this type of posts.

Internet Service In My Area on Monday, June 4, 2018 1:40 AM
I believe this is a great site, you are working great on the content and quality of this site at the same time..

Internetserviceproviders on Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:42 AM
I agree with most of the points you make within this content.

Click Here on Friday, July 13, 2018 4:18 AM
It was very useful to me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to.

lin on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:16 AM
nice

real fur jackets on Saturday, September 1, 2018 4:43 AM
I appreciate your hard work here. As a student I sometimes struggle with deadlines, especially when I have so many responsibilities.Luckily, there is a this paper service may decide any paper tasks as soon as possible.

asdasd on Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:17 PM
asdasd

https://www.essayangels.net/ on Wednesday, October 3, 2018 12:59 AM
This belongs to the list of the top scariest things to face. Research dissertation. People see the papers as hard and difficult. Well, in fact, yes it is, but not that hard if the researcher knows what he or she is doing. Just to share with you guys I have been researching fort almost six years and there really are opportunities in doing research papers. Not only that you get to learn from your experiences, but you also get to help other people who want to find out something about the world and about themselves.

Blade Runner Fu on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:21 AM
When I see the trend of female’s schooling it makes me glad as many complications will be ended when they’ll gain knowledge. There should be a big infrastructure for them to get education and to join men in each department of life.

DirecTV Deals on Saturday, November 17, 2018 1:18 AM
Enjoy Sports, news, movies and shows with Directv best deals. Directv bundles, select $35/m , Entertainment $40/m and many more. Call us now to get best Directv deals in your town. For Offers feel free to call Directv Authorized retailer

loegmrntdherid1 on Monday, November 26, 2018 1:36 AM
I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.

Kakan Sukanda Dinata on Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:23 PM
n di kepalanya. Seperti semua gadis berusia lima belaini ke 16 Jual besi cnp undangan pernikahan animasi Harga Plat Bordes Kembang Pabrik Besi H beam Baja Pabrik Plat Bordes harga besi beton psi Ulir Polos Distributor Besi Beton Distributor Besi Beton Jual baja ringan www.gudangbesibaja.com undangan pernikahan cantik Harga Plat Besi Hitam Distributor Atap Spandek Distributor Bondek Cor harga besi beton perwira Harga Besi Beton Harga Besi Beton Jual bondek harga besi Wf Baja undangan pernikahan cantik elegan sewa villa bukit danau Harga Plat Kapal Bki Krakatau Steel Supplier Atap Spandek Harga Bondek Cor harga besi beton PAS Jual Besi Beton Jual Besi Beton Jual Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steel Harga bondek undangan pernikahan cetak Harga Jual Besi Siku Baja Agen Atap Spandek Jual Bondek Cor harga besi beton master steel ms Supplier Besi Beton Supplier Besi Beton Jual besi siku harga wiremesh undangan pernikahan custom Harga Besi Unp Baja Profil Kanal Toko Atap Spandek Supplier Bondek Cor harga besi beton ksty Toko Besi Beton Toko Besi Beton Jual pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Harga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 undangan pernikahan bagus Harga Besi Cnp Profil Baja Gording Jual Atap Spandek Toko Bondek Cor harga besi beton krakatau steel Agen Besi Beton Agen Besi Beton Jual Plat besi harga besi hollow undangan pernikahan anime Harga Besi Hollow Harga Atap Spandek Agen Bondek Cor harga besi beton jcac Pabrik Besi Beton Pabrik Besi Beton Jual besi h beam harga besi beton Sni Ulir Polos undangan pernikahan aneh Harga Wiremesh Pabrik Atap Spandek Pabrik Bondek Cor harga besi beton interworld steel is

TV And Internet Providers on Friday, March 22, 2019 1:36 AM

Editing Software on Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:41 PM
analysis on the behalf on statistics is tell you about the business , its tells you every thing about how business is doing.

500-901 exam questions answers on Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:29 AM
Ace4sure is the website that deals in preparation material for the exam for many years. According to my exposure and research, this is the right platform where you can get exact exam dumps.

Cable And Internet Deals on Monday, May 13, 2019 3:15 AM

tableclothsfactory on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:58 AM
Maintain the outstanding job !! Lovin' it!

wedding stubby holders australia on Monday, June 3, 2019 2:15 AM

iphone 8 plus cases on Friday, June 7, 2019 2:20 AM

365 days of positivity on Friday, June 7, 2019 9:55 AM
What kind of statistics do you provide? Nature Does Not Hurry Yet Everything is Accomplished

soulja on Saturday, June 15, 2019 3:38 AM

soulja on Sunday, June 16, 2019 7:33 PM

blacktongue on Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:39 AM

anika dirienzo on Friday, July 12, 2019 7:49 AM

carson gendron on Friday, July 12, 2019 6:51 PM

ewa tschanz on Friday, July 12, 2019 7:18 PM

89798 on Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:45 AM
987

Live random video chat on Friday, July 26, 2019 3:16 AM
I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again

music paradise pro app on Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:07 AM
Download Music Paradise Pro App Apk and Enjoy to download Unlimited Music in your Android phone.

Cheap Promise Rings on Monday, August 26, 2019 10:36 PM

john on Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:03 AM

1st Year Result 2019 on Monday, September 30, 2019 3:25 AM
O man iam so happy when see here results of your website.

Costa Blanca on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 10:27 AM
To give preferred administration over ever and work perfectly, they have to know the issue and bother in the administration by their clients. To do as such, Perkins Restaurants have started Perkins Experience Survey program. Under this program, Customers can recommend some creative thoughts and their proposal to improve their utility.

lidar Vancouver, BC on Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:36 AM
Lidar can measures the remove of the surface of the soil effortlessly. In the event that you need to overview the soil surface at that point, you ought to utilize a lidar. You'll be able to enlist Onsite3D for the leading 3D lidar service.

Dissertation Writing Services on Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:25 AM
Thank you for sharing useful information. I’m looking forward to seeing more updates from you.

ant extermination on Thursday, October 17, 2019 5:07 AM
Really decent post. I just discovered your weblog and needed to say that I have truly delighted in searching your blog entries. After all I'll be subscribing to your food and I trust you compose again soon!

EMF shielding on Friday, January 3, 2020 4:25 PM
simply I experience your web page furthermore practising and beneficial opinion. it is protected enormously handy calculation as soon as a variety of our assets.thanks for element. i enjoy this make acknowledged.

Useless Websites on Sunday, February 2, 2020 7:39 AM

Useless Websites on Wednesday, February 5, 2020 11:54 PM
Surviving the Dissertation Process Useless Websites

Eyal Nachum on Wednesday, March 11, 2020 5:44 AM
Eyal Nachum is a fintech guru and a director at Bruc Bond. Eyal is the architect of the software that SMEs use to do cross-border payments.

Eyal Nachum on Thursday, March 12, 2020 5:30 AM

Bruc Bond on Saturday, March 14, 2020 7:12 AM

Bruc Bond on Sunday, March 15, 2020 7:51 AM

Bruc Bond on Monday, March 16, 2020 12:23 PM

Bruc Bond on Monday, March 16, 2020 1:07 PM
Being able to forecast where markets are headed is the Holy Grail of money. With billions of bucks to be made, it's not a surprise machine discovering has actually played a significantly vital function in fintech. Bruc Bond endeavor to lead the financial sector with sustainability, customizable product offering, and open communication. At Bruc Bond we aim to make 21st century banking straightforward, simple, and transparent.

Bruc Bond on Monday, March 16, 2020 3:17 PM

Eyal Nachum on Monday, March 16, 2020 6:03 PM

Micheal Hedge on Monday, March 23, 2020 11:38 AM
Right after you have shortlisted often the cardiologist, it is ideal to schedule an visit to Department of Cardiac Surgery so you are able in order to determine how comfortable you might be with them. Dr. Eyal Nachum is a senior cardiologist working in Heart Transplantation Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan, Israel.

small tattoos on Saturday, April 4, 2020 4:14 AM
small tattoos https://inksmalltattoos.com/ small tattoos

Matchmaking Agency USA on Tuesday, May 12, 2020 10:03 AM
International matchmaking and dating agency in Ukraine. More than 300 beautiful serious ladies who are looking for a partner abroad! We guarantee professional service and result!

Tejar.pk on Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:03 AM
I found it quiet interesting, hopefully, you will keep posting such type of nice blogs. Keep sharing.thanks.

Top ECE College In Delhi NCR on Tuesday, May 26, 2020 1:26 AM
Interesting to read this great article indeed because I have known many great and new things from you. Thanks a lot one more time.

Top CSE colleges in Faridabad on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 2:41 AM
This is a great inspiring Article.I am pretty much pleased with your good Work.You put really very helpful information.

Driving school Toronto on Sunday, May 31, 2020 12:27 AM
iDrive Driving School Toronto is a ministry approved driving school located in Toronto, Noth York, Ontario provides driving lessons & courses at affordable prices. Serving the entire Toronto, GTA including Vaughan, Thornhill, and Richmond Hill. Book a road test car for G, G2 Road Tests.

Top Civil Engineering College In Delhi NCR on Friday, June 5, 2020 4:43 AM
I happen to enter your blog with the help of google search. To my sheer luck I got what I was searching for. Thanks

Top BBA College In Faridabad on Wednesday, June 10, 2020 2:40 AM
Aravali Engineering and Management College is one of the top BBA college in Faridabad, offers BBA General, BBA Financial services and banking, BBA Retail Management.

Nike Shoes on Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:55 AM

Anonymous on Monday, June 15, 2020 9:12 AM
This article is very interesting and amazing. I am really impressed with your work. I want more similar topics about this post to increase our knowledge. Thanks for sharing and keep sharing.Sonia Randhawa

Anonymous on Monday, June 15, 2020 9:44 AM
Now we know who the revealing one is here. Thanks for posting here! To get complete solutions for the issues related to Dropbox Help Customer Service Support Phone Number online data store services, a user must connect with the experts.Sonia Randhawa

CGIFurniture on Sunday, June 21, 2020 10:47 AM
Great points there, thanks. And here is the relevant article, maybe someone will find it useful too https://cgifurniture.com/3d-product-modeling-companies-furniture-marketing/